- One (1) letter of recommendation emailed directly from a teacher.
- One (1) letter of recommendation emailed directly from an adult who knows you well (i.e. coach, employer, pastor, etc.)
- Essay #1 (400-600 words): Tell us about yourself, including your academic and career goals, hopes and dreams for the future. How will the Karen Ha Scholarship help you make progress towards your goals?
- Essay #2 (400-600 words): Choose ONE for the following:
- Tell us something that is meaningful to you and how this helps to define who you are.
- What has been the greatest challenge you have faced, either personally or academically? How did you approach it? What did you learn?
- Describe a memorable experience that inspired you in some way related to your academic or career goals. What impact did it have on you?
- Most recent transcript(s) of grades (including grading scale); unofficial transcripts are accepted
- Copy of SAT or ACT scores
- Copy of your and/or your parents’/parent’s most recent Federal Income Tax statement (short form).
- Copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). To obtain SAR, visit:
- Supplementary financial statement form completed by your parent(s)/guardian(s)
Purpose: KACF-SF is committed to improving the quality of life in the Bay Area’s Korean American community and empowering the next generation of Korean American leaders. Through this scholarship program, we seek to give talented but under-resourced students the chance to become college graduates and contributors to their community and family.
Background: The Karen Ha Scholarship was established by the family of Karen Ha to honor her legacy as a founding member and inaugural Board co-chair of KACF-SF.
- Number of Awards: 2
- Amount of Award: $2,500 (annual award)
- Must submit renewal application annually (will be provided), continue to maintain cumulative GPA of 3.0 each academic year, and be in good community standing.
- Other: In addition to scholarship money, awardees will receive some mentorship support.
Download and complete the application from the button below.
Please send your completed application and supplementary materials in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Karen Ha Scholarship, [YOUR NAME].
DATES & DEADLINES
Application Available – December 2019
Application Due Date – March 20, 2020
Finalist Interviews – mid-April, 2020
Award Notification – April 30, 2020
Public Announcement – May 16, 2020 at KACF-SF Annual Gala.
- Grade level: Incoming freshman planning to enroll full-time at an accredited four-year public college or university in California in 2020-2021
- OR: Transfer student from a Bay Area community college planning to enroll full-time at an accredited four-year public college or university in California in 2020-2021
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Korean ethnicity (at least 50%)
- Documented financial need
- Residency: Incoming freshmen must reside in one of the five Bay Area counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara. Transfer student applicants must currently be attending a community college in one of these five counties.
- Undocumented students with DACA status are eligible to apply; International students are not eligible to apply.